Chief Technology Officer, Australia & New Zealand Nokia
Robert Joyce is Chief Technology Officer for Nokia in Australia & New Zealand. He has 25+ years in Mobile
Telecommunications working for operators and vendors around the globe.
Prior to joining Nokia in October 2020, Robert was the Head of Radio Access Technologies for Qatar’s
Ooredoo Group and was responsible for overseeing the evolution of all ten of Ooredoo’s mobile networks
from 2G/3G towards 4G and more recently 5G.
During his career, he has been responsible for a number of industry firsts including:
• The World’s first 5G Commercial Network at Ooredoo Qatar, launched in May 2018.
• The first UMTS900 network in the UK with Telefonica UK, 2010.
• The first 4G network trial in the UK with Telefonica UK, 2009.
• The first 3.5G trial network in the USA with T-Mobile USA, 2006.
• The first Japanese 3G-TDD trial network with IPMobile Japan, 2005.
• The first UK 3G trial network with Orange UK, 1999.
Rob has published numerous academic papers on mobile communications and holds a PhD in “Self
Organising Heterogeneous Networks” from the University of Leeds, UK